Why We Love Natural Fibers:
Earth Day is coming up and a great time to give a little shout out to why we love working with natural fiber fabrics:
1. Beautiful ingredients.Clothing is only as good as the fabric it's made from. Like food, high-quality, artisanal ingredients, lead to more beautiful, thoughtful clothing.
2. Gentle on your skin. Most natural fiber fabrics either cool you down or keep your warm depending on the season and are naturally moisture-wicking letting your skin breath -- linen is even naturally antimicrobial! Once you start wearing natural fibers it can be hard to go back!
3. Artisanal Heritage. Natural fiber fabrics have been woven into cloth for thousands of years and are the basis for artisanal textile arts around the world. We love supporting these traditional artisans & mills whenever we can. The Kala Cotton in our summer collection (coming soon!) is a deeply traditional, small-batch organic fabric woven by hand in India and watered only by rainfall.
4. Biodegradable. Natural fibers biodegrade back into the earth at the end of their useful life. Linen decomposes in 2 weeks, cotton in 5 months. By comparison polyester can take up to 200 years.
5. No Microfibers.Our oceans are filling up with plastic and microfibers shed from the frequent washing of cheaply made synthetic textiles are one of the main culprits. Wired magazine does a great job exploring this issue here.
So here’s to keeping the craft in clothes and giving Mother Earth a little love!!!